Finally after a while I posted the last food recipe, I am going to introduce a great and healthy Chinese soup that I really love – Lotus root soup.
My mum is a vegetarian and I have chances to eat quite a lot of vegetarian food. I know vegan and vegetarian have different definition but this soup can be consumed by both of the groups.
- Lotus root – 1 cup (cut into slices and cook with boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside)
- Peanut – 1 cup (Boil in medium heat for 15-20 minutes. The peanut should be half cooked but not fully cooked. The purpose of this procedure is to make sure all the dark skin of peanuts are cooked away and the soup will not murky. Drain and set aside)
- 5 – 7 Unsweeted dried dates
- Chinese herbs – (i) 海竹 (Solomonseal Rhizome) – 10 g ; (ii) 百合 (bulbus lilii) – 5 g (skip these if you cannot get them, but it definitely will affect the taste of soup)
- 2 liters of water
- Boil the water and pour all the ingredients into the pot.
- Turn to medium low heat and shimmer for 15-20 minutes or until the peanuts are fully cooked.
- Seasons with salt only but not pepper.
This soup is healthy and tastes great. I hope you will like it!